Tai Chi for the stroke survivor by a stroke survivor.

Antonio Iannella
Antonio Iannellaon Wednesday, April 22 2015
7 Comments

Hi fellow stroke survivors. Enable Me is about to be launched so I thought I'd kickstart my public involvement with my Tai Chi YouTube tutorial.

I few years back, post stroke, I did a Tai Chi course and found the exercise very beneficial to my general well-being and a helpful aid as part of my daily rehabilitation.

Traditional Tai Chi, the one I learnt, is somewhat challenging so I developed my own form combining Tai Chi, Physiotherapy and simple Yoga. I have made a YouTube tutorial for those interested in learning the exercise and hope some of you will gain the benefits that ancient eastern practices can bring to our lives. Peace :)

Stroke survivor displays Tai Chi exercise routine.

 

7 Responses
This is great, thanks Antonio for sharing!

HI Antonio

 

I have just been sent your clip by Di at the Stroke Foundation.  Good Work on presenting us with a mix of helpful movements,  I will try this routine tomorrow.   I have recently think I would like to try some Tai Chi - I have done it before and found it helpful.  I am stretching twice daily at the moment and know that Yoga is a bit out of my league as far as balance and flexibilty goes.  Tai Chi looks like a good alternative that is of interest to me.  

I noticed its a couple of years ago since you posted this - hows life for you at the moment.

 

Sue Bowden

I used to teach Tai Chi and then had a severe stroke that paralyzed the whole of my RH side, I do exercises on a daily routine but watching this clip made me think about Tai Chi, it will be very hard for me, trying to connect my damage brain to my muscles after all there was a time I could not speak or understand the spoken word.

Hi Mike,

 

Yoga after stroke is another form of exercise that you may want to think about. Here is a Harvard article about it.

 

Diana 

I am quite an energy bunny, when I have the energy that is but last year I started with yoga classes, more restorative rather than harder ones. However, this year I have recently started Tai Chi and Q Gong classes and LOVE them. They make me stop, balance both my body and mind and keep me more grounded than yoga. It's all personal taste I know but would highly recommend it.

Shelagh

I am an accredited Tai-Chi (for Arthritis) instructor and was volunteering with the Active Aging group in NSW Health. I suffered a stroke so I have taken the initiative to start "Seated Tai-Chi" for those who want to pick up.

Notes:

1. It is meant for people who can sit up (in a walker, or a standard chair)

2. I know every stroke injury is different and I am mindful of this. Not all the solutions are suitable or useful in your personal circumstance.

3. It's gentle exercise and is a work in progress. And as I continue to improve, I hope to produce more of this. I am work medical leave.

4. It is completely free. Available on YouTube and also on Telegram. It starts from basics.

5. The entire video is produced by me with no professional help, so bear this in mind in case you want to ask - how come there is no "flying tiger attacks bird" video. I am not a videographer professional. The folks in hospital has asked me to make it available to those who are interested. You can any where with the Internet even with a smart mobile phone.

6. I am also hoping to create a community where members may log in Zoom for a chat over tea (you bring your own). Nice to have a video chat that won't be longer than 30 minutes for companionship and social discussions. I am in the process to see if I can get Zoom sponsorship (A$2015 per year, limited to 9 people)

I promise none of you will be required to provide 100 points of ID but it would be appreciated if you can contribute positively so others can benefit. We will discuss fun topics face to face like:

- what is the best story of your life

- how is the best person you like (no names needed, or you can use a pseudonym)

- what do you find most of this section

If you feel you look like the Humpback of Notre Dame, just an advance notice that I don't look like Tom Cruise, Sean Connery or Brad Pitt.

7. I can be contacted by SMS 0468 332 436 (SMS only) or at onlineseatedtaichi@gmail.com

This YouTube channel is dedicated to Tai-Chi gentle exercise which some of you might find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmiDYXMBcywNckWybmgdDA

It's free and if you are on Telegram (digital tablet, mobile phone), the same is available here

t.me/onlineseatedtaichi

I know that the above does not cater to all, but if it helps you - please let me know. All content free to use. I will be putting up videos as I go along. It is a one-person production, so you can imagine that it is not easy to get the scripting, editing, videoing, uploading going. Plus my own rehab and doctor's visits.I will just try my best. Apologies if I cannot or am slow in getting content in. I know that not everything will be applicable to everyone; I can just try my best to contribute. You can get my contact in the videos.

Loading reply form...
EnableMe | enableme - stroke recovery and support