Food Choices after Stroke Study - Update!

Karly Z
Karly Zon Monday, October 25 2021
4 Comments

Graphic of a black horse with the University of Newcastle logo on the right and a logo for the food choices after stroke study that has a green knife, fork and spoon icon.

 

STUDY UPDATE!!

 

We have now completed the individual interview part of the study. Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences about how food has changed for you after stroke. 

 

If you would like to share your experiences, we are still looking for Stroke Survivors to share their experiences by completing an online survey

 

OUR SURVEY IS OPEN UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR!

 

How has stroke changed the way that you eat?

Eating well after stroke can lower your risk of having another stroke, but changing your diet is easier said than done!

We would like to find out more about how eating has changed for you since your stroke:

  • Do you eat different foods? At different times of day?
  • Do you plan or shop differently?
  • Do you have any devices or tips that help you prepare foods?
  • What challenges do you face?
  • What is it that you think us researchers need to know about eating well after stroke?

We will use your experience to make programs to support Stroke Survivors to eat well.

Interested? We would love to hear about you experiences.

Here is a link for more information:

https://enableme.org.au/Community/What-Helps/f/Food-Choices-after-Stroke-A-cross-sectional-analysis-of-the-current-diet-and-eating-behaviour-of-stroke-survivors-research

 

4 Responses

Hi, I would be interested in participating in this study. 

I do not have difficulty eating, and I don't believe my diet has changed much, so I am not sure if I would be eligible.

Physically I have recovered from my stroke, my ongoing issues are cognitive, and increasingly, I think, age related. I had my stroke nearly 20 years ago and am approaching 60.

Kind Regards,

Leanne.

 

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your interest in our study!

Our study is open to anyone in Australia who has had a stroke and is living at home (i.e. not in a rehab facility).

You definitely fit the bill! We are measuring the current diet of all stroke survivors. Your information and experiences would absolutely add to our study.

If you would like to participate, here is the link to find out more.

Thank you to everyone who has completed our survey so far - first results are showing us that fatigue can play a huge part in how you can plan and cook your meals. Some people have told us that on some days food is just too hard! 

This is really important for researchers to understand - we need to find ways that make food easier for you when you just don't have the energy. 

If you have any tips please feel free to add them here and the survey is still open if you would like to add your experiences to this research.

We would love to hear what you have to say.

I'll say a little too, maybe it will help the researchers. I had some thoughts after watching your video https://youtu.be/BeuuqkHnR8k
I began to notice that my body is full of energy after I added a vitamin-mineral complex to my diet: vitamins B, C, D, calcium, magnesium.
This is what I drink separately. But I also take a coplex tablet, which contains 80% of the daily dose of all the necessary elements. I supplement the rest with food: cereals, potatoes, meat, fish, eggs. I don't eat much fruit or vegetables, because they give me too much gas :)

Loading reply form...