My name is Lid

Wednesday, June 14 2017, 11:57AM


I'm Lydia, I am 34 yours old. On Sunday November 27 2016 my life changed forever.


That day my partner and I had walked the dogs and had Sunday lunch with family when all of a sudden during a phone call my speech became slurred. I couldn't hold the phone my left side and my face dropped - it was very clear to my partner Phil that I was having a stroke.


Phil called the ambulance described my symptoms to them and they were amazing - luckily Hereford County Hospital have a specialist stroke procedure and I was in the CT scanner rapidly. The scan showed a large hyper-dense blood clot in my middle cerebral artery. I received the right medication (clot busting drugs) to disperse the blood clot - we were so naive about what was to follow.


Whilst having the stroke I felt odd and not sure what was going on, by the next day it was very clear I was very poorly and my speech was confused. I was unable to talk in sentences and my words were mixed up. My mobility went and I lost the whole of the left side of my body including my left hand which was bent into a fist and still has very little feeling.


The stroke tore our lives apart, no one tells you quite how bad it's going to be.


Noise became terrifying and I struggle to understand if more than one person speaks to me. I can no longer multitask and I get very anxious suddenly from nowhere which results in panic attacks. It's very hard to move forward when you're still coming to terms with what has happened.


Sadly I started having seizures four months after the stroke. My brain is settling and creating neurological pathways but these adjustments cause seizures and my legs jerk at night, they don't stay still. Myoclonus is a condition which causes the legs to constantly twitch and at night time move constantly. I'm no longer safe to be left on my own and I have to wear an alarm in case I start having a seizure.


Our lives have been destroyed and my kids are spending extra time at their dads whilst I recover. Constant trips in and out of hospital have made them sad and it's very difficult on us all. Life has a funny way of throwing things our way - I’ve had six operations in seven years and now a stroke. I feel very lucky to be alive but also destroyed by what this has caused. Without my partner Phil and my two boys James and Carter it would be hard not to give up.  Friends have dwindled off as it takes me time to get better and I repeatedly cancel on them because I never know how well I'll be from one day to the next.


I miss my old life the fun bubbly girl who made people laugh and messed around all the time. I'm needing to be looked after now.  Facebook can give an illusion of wellness which I use to my advantage on social media as people are not aware how poorly I am.


It’s changed my life forever I am moving forward and trying to recover every day – it’s still early days and only seven months since my stroke.