pfo closure and Nickel allergy

meg
megon Sunday, June 12 2016
2 Comments

Hi all

 

I had a small stroke as a 37 y old healthy lady. I have a pfo as my only likely cause. I have been advised to have it closed but I have a nickel allergy. Has anyone else had closure with a nickel device or has anyone been advised to have the pfo closed surgically? 

Thanks for any support. 

2 Responses

Hi Meg,

Conducting a cutaneous / skin test prior to surgery may be helpful. Rather than just a regular skin test, your doctor can stick the actual closure device directly to your skin (on your thigh or the inside of your arm) for a period of time to see if there is a reaction. I believe there are also some closure devices that have the nickel containing wires coated in platinum as a way to minimise risk of allergy related complications. In any case, it's best to talk directly to your cardiologist about the best option for you, if surgery is recommended as the best treatment option for your PFO. Hope this helps! 

Kelcie 

I just had the PFO closure last week after a bad stroke at the age of 48.

 

To be honest, before the procedure, I didn't really know whether I was allergic to nickel, but everyrthing seems to be fine, so I'm assuming not.

 

Testing with the device on your skin sounds like a good idea though

Loading reply form...