What next for Swallowing Therapy?

BS_VA
BS_VAon Wednesday, March 28 2018
3 Comments

My husband has been without his ability to swallow for about 3 1/2 months.  He has progressed from no swallow at all, to being able to swallow water, soup, and very light purees. We have had wonderful help from Speech Therapists and it seems that the oesophageal sphincter is failing to relax and the larger bolus will not go through. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

He suffered a Lateral Medular Stroke and this seems to be the main difficulty for him... he also has the fatigue, some balance problems, and dizziness at times, but we are coping with those areas.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has come through this ordeal.

Vicki (& Bryan)

 

3 Responses

Hi Vicki and Bryan

 

I’m sorry to hear of Bryan's stroke and the swallowing difficulties he is experiencing. It is great that he is seeing a speech pathologist and has made progress over the last few months. It is also positive that you are both managing the other issues he is currently experiencing.

 

Stroke recovery is lifelong, and survivors can keep getting better for years after a stroke. Recovery post a stroke is different for every person, and can be impacted by other issues such as other medical conditions and age.   

 

Recovery of swallowing can be impacted by many things including fatigue, level of alertness, and the ability to participate in the rehabilitation program. Recovery from swallowing issues can be difficult to predict as it can also be influenced by a number of things, such as the type, size and location of the stroke, as well as the severity of the swallowing difficulty.

 

Given every case is different, it’s best for Bryan to keep working with the speech pathologist and be open to asking them questions about strategies and ongoing rehabilitation. 

 

Please don’t hesitate to give StrokeLine a call if you’d like more information or support (1800 787 653, 9am-5pm Monday-Friday).

 

Kind regards

Siobhan (StrokeLine)

Hi BS VA

 

Yes, I wholly concur with the above. Every stroke is so, so, so different, so stick with your speech pathologist.

 

I, too have swallowing difficulties. Going on 5 years. I've gone through a peg (tube that goes straight into the stomach). Ever so slowly, I graduated from puree through another stage (can't remember the speechie term) to food and then from thickened fluids to water. Then, once I met the 'water' tests (drinking enough for 2 weeks), the peg was yanked out.

 

My tip? When your husband graduates through the ranks - avoid rice and mince. And always cut his food up.

 

Have him stick with his speechie if eating normal (well as much as possible because there are still foods I avoid) is a goal, and if not, encourage him to be content with how far he's prepared to go. Make sure he respects the boundaries of what his body can do, because after a stroke happens, the body changes.

 

Good luck,

Rachel

Hi there, 

I am a speech pathologist and assistant professor at the University of Syndey.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to reach out to see if either of you are still needing support on this?

Please reach out if you are: emma.wallace@sydney.edu.au 

We are running online telerehabilitation programs for stroke survivors with difficulty swallowing. Details are below, I'd love to hear from you. 

 

undefined 

 

 

Loading reply form...