Travelling after stroke - What was your experience

_Kempy_
_Kempy_on Saturday, February 13 2021
11 Comments

For those who have experienced stroke - i am reaching out to you for your advice/insight

A bit of background: I am a primary solo carer for my father. He has expressed wanting to go to QLD (we are in NSW) and I would love to fulfil his wish.

His last stroke was in August 2019. We've used 2020 as a year of continued healing and learning to live with the new 'norms' of day to day. We have a good routine & communication style :)

QUESTION FOR YOU: Following your strokes, have you:

1. Flown or driven long distances - which did you do?

2. Did you experience any discomforts?

3. What made the trip comfortable or helped you the most?

4. Can you share any hints/tips that helped you when flying / driving

I will be seeing the doctor before-hand to ensure he has clearance to fly. But needing your advice on the most comfortable mode of transport. Then i will weigh up pro's and con's and our personal circumstances

His impairments remain:

Cognitive impairments - planning

Aphasia

Still tires extremely easily

Extensive list of medications

incontiencne occasionally (1-3 times a month and due to lack of close-by bathroom)

11 Responses

Hi Kempy, my experience: 

1. Flown to Europe and back (was exhausting, Economy), drive only locally, avoid night due to my eye sight, 

I think that by law, in Vic you have to do a driving test again (that's what I did with the help of my Occ Therapist. 

3. I went through everything in my head/planned. Challenge would be going to unfamiliar places, though.

4. I'd say traveling on a train would be the best experience. 

In a nutshell, for me, new situations/environment is the biggest challenge. Also, fatigue (brain fog) must be taken into account (power naps).

Re aphasia, is writing down Qs an option? I guess, the benefits of travelling need to outweigh the angsiety. Also, one of my therapists told me that I need to push myself sometimes to achieve an outcome. He was right. I'd go to the pool only in the morning due to arvo naps, until I started going in the arvo as well. I look at my brain as a muscle. But, safety comes always first! Take care!

Hi Kempy, A while ago I wrote a blog called  'flying post stroke'. I think if you put that in the search it will come up. I think preparation is the key; if you're driving have an idea of where you can stop that toilets are easily accessible, check that accommodation is suitable for your dad and if flying specify that special assistance is required. 
In terms of most comfortable mode of transport it really is a case by case scenario. I ddin't know how badly I would be affected by flying until I did it but knowing the resulting effects  dissipate within a few hours offsets the short flight versus many hours in a car.
If you have any specifics questions please don;t hesitate to ask

Toni

Kempy 3 years ago I flew from Launceston/Brisbane to visit family. My daughter and family accompanied me.Quantas did their utmost to help. My daughter booked help as I cannot walk up steps to aircraft. Prior to travelling check your bookings as we did have one hiccup on return trip. One aircraft was delayed as I was taken from one aircraft to another. My anxiety  level  rose with that experience. I was exhausted by the time we reached Brisbane  due to noise mainly from a full flights and very busy airports. I took my own 4wheel walker  that was wrapped by the airline. My walking stick was placed with luggage above my head. I used airport toilets to avoid struggling down busy aisle in aircraft.

The Brisbane trip was part of my “bucket list”. I had a lovely time meeting nieces/newphews. I stayed with my sister who had set up equipment necessary for me.     I agree with Michael  train travel would be easier , simply due to leg room.        Enjoy the planning that is part of the fun.  Jenny

 

Hi Kenpy,

 

I know you've seen these comments, but I thought it may help others. 🙂👌❤️

 

Craig Bearman
Hi I had a massive stroke 7yrs ago now, I've been flying and driving long distances as I can still drive and have my license back, my issue driving is the mental fatigue both with me driving or my wife, then I'm drained mentally for days to come, & I find the heat knocks me around to, I've flown to Bali a few times now since the stroke, it's still fatiguing, but not as much as in the car, as your brain never stops

 

Trudy Treacy
If you fly he will need flight stocking to stop blood clots. My hubby is post stroke and I choose to drive with regular 2 hr stops.

 

Pip Hicks
One small thing I did really appreciate with the airlines was that I gave them warning that I suffered from fatigue and could not walk very well. So after check in if luggage - they pick me up at the baggage outlet with a buggy and took me straight over to the terminal gate. I didn’t have to walk miles to it - the staff then put me on the plane first so I didn’t have to bash through bags and people to get to my seat. They also let me be last off for the same reason. I found them very amicable when flying .

 

Nicole Driver Clarke
I would fly. My husband and I drove from SA to Sydney, we had lots of stretch stops but he ended up with a dvt in his leg. Not 100% sure if it was directly related to the drive but very coincidental. Next trip, he will fly.
Additional, recommendations, plan your breaks for day outings, use a wheelchair if possible or suss out seats/benches to rest before heading out eg markets don't have many rest stops, museums extend esp5now due to covid.

 

 

Meliame Tauali'i - Fifita
I went overseas not too long after my stroke and we also drove to Sydney from Melbourne. As long as you have seen the doctor for clearance beforehand, I reckon flying was the best because it took less time. One of my issues though was trying to put on my seat belt as my left side was affected after the stoke and I had trouble putting it on because I sat on the seats as my belt buckle was on my left, it may be ok for your dad but it took a hell of a time for me to buckle it on.
Good luck and looking forward to hearing how you go.

 

Therese Bawden
Fatigue will be on going I think maybe flying as it will be the quickest time frame to get there but only if clearance is granted. Just pa e the day don’t try to over do things. Don’t cram in to much in one day. Just see what each dsy brings and go with the flow of it.

 

Diana Clarke
I went overseas about 20months after a quite big stroke. We flew, it was great that we had seats done the front of the plane as it was difficult for me to walk in such a small aisle. I also sat on the aisle for an easier exit to the toilet etc.

 

Katie Dobsa
If you decide to fly get the wheelchair escort through the terminal, even now walking through terminals is very taxing for me, I would also recommend giving you both time to rest/sleep and not try to overdo it, I know that new things can be very over stimulating for me and fatigue hits bad, when we holiday now we do a lot of half days then back to the Motel, I wish you both all the best.

 

Tracy Anne Ward
QANTAS was amazing with us when we flew to Queensland, transferred us all over the airport in a golf buggy type thing, loaded us on first, always made sure the wheelchair was waiting for us when we disembarked. Only thing I would suggest is to consider which side your Dad is weak on and make sure it’s in the aisle seat with the weak side out with a bit of space. (I hope that makes sense) When we landed Stephen bumped his weak leg on the arm rest and it ended up bruised. He also got quite stiff, so lots of stretching before, during and after.

 

Carrie Volmer
My husband had a stroke in 2011. The biggest issue he has had with traveling is fatique. If driving the stopping frequently and getting fresh air does wonders. If flying i woul suģgest trying to keep their mind active. Infrequent movement is the worst thing. Keeping active as best you can will help measurably.

 


Tam Nest
i’ve flown (domestic) multiple times since my stroke; and done a few 6 hr drives to sydney; 3 hr drives to melbourne etc; flew from albury to brisbane, then drove to toowoomba.
flying each time was scary, i’m not really sure why though - i guess just being paranoid if something happened, but it’s not too much different than if something happened on one of our drives, either 😅
if fatigue is a big issue, i’d vote for flying. but if he’s happy to drive and have lots of rest breaks, then you can do that, too. do you think he will sleep in the car? good luck 😄

 

 

mine dizziness even in a wheel chair , constant inbalance , travelling to the shops by taxi is 10 minutes , still continuance spinning , only goes when my eyes are shut .my solution is not to travel and keep movement to a minimum ..its ok thou , better than being dead ..

mine dizziness even in a wheel chair , constant inbalance , travelling to the shops by taxi is 10 minutes , still continuance spinning , only goes when my eyes are shut .my solution is not to travel and keep movement to a minimum ..its ok thou , better than being dead ..

1
Loading reply form...