37 and Drs say I had a TIA

MummyBear
MummyBearon Wednesday, December 4 2019
6 Comments

Hi, I never even knew this forum existed, let alone thought I’d find myself posting in here! I’m 37, a mum to 4 kids, fit and active, and had what the Drs are saying they think was a TIA on Monday morning. 

It happened at work, I didn’t go to hospital even though I was thinking “I wonder if I’m having a stroke?” as I thought I was being over-dramatic. I had to get my mum to come and pick me up from work and while my symptoms resolved after about 45 minutes, I basically slept all day and night and then decided to see the GP on Tuesday as I needed to see him anyway. Long story short, he sent me straight to ED where I had a billion tests run and while they let me come home eventually, I am still waiting to see the Neurologist at the TIA clinic. 

They have said if I was 20 years older, they would have diagnosed it as a TIA straight away but given my age, they aren’t 100% sure but are treating it as such. 

I feel like my feet have been swept out from underneath me as I was totally blindsided by this. I don’t even know how I feel. I have a thousand questions swirling around my head which no one can answer at this stage. I don’t know what I want to ask, I think I just want to connect with others who have been through this too. 

6 Responses

Hi Mummybear,

I am sorry to hear about what you're going through. I can imagine you must be very shocked.

 

If you would like to chat to the StrokeLine team, please call 1800 787 653. They are a wonderful resource that you can call on to ask for advice, or to simply have a chat.

 

Young stroke and TIA is much more common than you may think, so you are not alone. I am not sure if knowing that helps or not - I hope that it does.

 

You may find it helpful to read other peoples experiences here too.

 

And Facebook.

 

Diana 

 

Hi Mummybear,

 

I am so sorry to hear about what you’re going through.

 

It’s natural that you are feeling quite anxious, it can be really a challenging time to hear you’ve had something like a TIA and even more so when they haven’t given  you a proper diagnosis.

 

As Diana mentioned above, it can be really helpful to hear from other stroke survivors and read their stories to know that you are not alone.

 

As Diana also mentioned, I think it might be helpful for you to give us a call on StrokeLine (1800 787 653, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). We have health professionals available to offer support and advice and can give you some practical advice on things like questions to ask at the TIA clinic. Alternatively, you can send us your contact details and we can call you. 

 

Warm regards,

 

Chloe

Thank you both. It’s a bit surreal now as I feel fine now but still have all these restrictions on me. I’m allowed back at work tomorrow but I can’t drive there. I have my neuro appt in 10 days, so am just stuck in limbo until then. 

I’ll try to call the StrokeLine over the next few days. The links to stories etc have been helpful, so thank you.  

I went back to work yesterday and had another weird episode - maybe another TIA? I had a headache, was confused and forgetful, became dizzy and had warm tingly patches on my left arm and leg (not the whole limb though)  and a few other weird things. As much as I didn’t want to go in case I was just overreacting, I went back to the ED (mostly because my work made me haha) but sat in the waiting room without being seen for several hours so I left as they obviously didn’t think it was serious. I have made an appointment to see my gp today and I think he’ll send me back to the hospital again but I don’t see the point in that if they don’t think it’s anything serious.

I don’t know how to advocate for myself without looking like I’m a hypochondriac as all my symptoms have resolved again. Do I just brush it off and try to get on with life until I see the neuro in a week? I feel like I’m stuck in limbo and I don’t know what to do. 

Hi Mummybear,

 

I am sorry you are going through such a frightening time with your health.  It is great to hear that your work sent you to ED. It can be difficult to have gone, waited and come back without a confirmed diagnosis, however I can assure you that you have done the right thing. If you are having the symptoms you described, calling 000 and going to ED is our suggested plan of action. You are not overreacting at all.

 

Even though you have been to ED and your symptoms have resolved, going to your GP after the event is an excellent idea. Again, you are doing all the right things for your health. I think it is important for you to continue to investigate for the cause of these events with your GP and neurologist. If they are TIA’s, although these symptoms do resolve, as you may know, TIA’s can be a risk factor for having a stroke.

 

Between now and your neurologist appointment, you may like to write down your symptoms and any questions that you have for your neurologist, so that you are able to get the most out of your appointment. It looks like you are doing all the right things to advocate for yourself, however if you want to discuss further, or if you would like to simply have a chat to one of our health professionals on StrokeLine, please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 787 653. However, with work and with your kids, if it is too difficult to call, feel free to email us directly on strokeline@strokefoundation.org.au. We are here if you need. 

 

Kath

StrokeLine

Hi there,

 

yeah i did the same thing convinced my self for two days I wasnt having a stroke even  though in the back on my mind i KNEW i was... I still kicked myself that I waited so long to go to the hospital.

How are you going now ? 

Loading reply form...