After a minor stroke five weeks ago I have noticed some loss of taste. All TEA no matter what brand is tasteless to me .A big loss as I have always enjoyed my early cuppa to get me moveing . Loss of taste was not a problem after my major stroke 4 years ago. With this minor event my voice has been affected. DYSARTHRIA is the problem . I wonder if there is a link between the two issues.JENNY
Hi Jenny,
I’m sorry to hear that this stroke has affected one of ‘life’s little pleasure’ for you. Stroke certainly can affect your taste. The good news is, many people find that it improves over time. Here is a fact sheet all about taste changes after stroke. It is a good idea to discuss it with your GP and see whether the change in taste is a result of the stroke or from some other cause, such as medications or a virus.
Stroke can also affect your voice and because the nerves for taste and the nerves for voice are quite close to each other in the brain stem, these two difficulties can occur from the same stroke.
Have you seen a speech pathologist regarding your voice problems? Problems with the voice are called dysphonia.
A speech pathologist can also help with slurred speech, also known as dysarthria. Here is the fact sheet on communication problems after stroke.
Here is the link for Speech Pathology Australia where you can search for a speech pathologist near you.
Please don’t hesitate to call StrokeLine on 1800 787 653 if you would like to talk about these issues further with one of our speech pathologists.
Best wishes,
Melita (StrokeLine)
Hi Jenny
I am 10 months post stroke and I had/have Dysarthria though it is much better after this time. I had taste issues too and it got me quite down as the pleasure in eating/drinking to me is the taste. However, I have noticed the taste is slowly coming back, so is my speech, so probably both related.
Give it a little time and chances are both will come back. I had some great speech therapy and though I started back at work hardly talking they can barely shut me up. It's still slurred if I am tired or sick but I think this too will pass with time. Best thing for the speech is practice talking!!!
Cheers Liz
Melita and Liz Thankyou for felpful posts. My speech therapist described my dysarthria as "mild"as she could understand me. I have several pages of S words to practise 3times daily. Also I read loudly to myself and read to grandchildren. The taste is not with all food,mainly with tea. Melita I discussed taste issue with my GP.the stroke seems to be the cause.Liz I feel quite encouraged by your post as you are living with the problem and recovered. Jenny
My taste is definitely back with me now thank goodness though my speech is still a bit off I can talk quite normally in many cases so keep trying.. Your speech issues sound just like mine. My Speech therapist recorded my voice and I was amazed how normal my voice sounded though to me I sounded like Donald duck talking. It gave me great hope to keep trying to get better and it is working. Even now I am improving. I take and make phone calls now quite well at work...something I didn't do until 6 months back at work!!
I sometimes apologize for my speech and people tell me,they didn't notice so that's a plus but I do have a lisp with S words and something I would like to get rid of. I still slur when tired or not feeling well and my husband can tell what sort of day Ive had at work by how well I'm talking!! I sang a lot even though this flat monotone sound came out, not at all like singing. Now its got a little more tune to it, even though I must be the worst singer out there. It really helped!!
I think for me going back to work was a great thing even though at the time it took all my effort just to get dressed and showered each morning.I spent ages at the desk trying to overcome that dizzy balance feeling which did stop eventually. I had to go as I am the only income earner in our family so although it was really hard, it gave me the motivation and incentive to keep trying. I went back to work before I was well enough and I was still doing outpatient rehab plus working full time which was a challenge but I worked my way through both. My rehab goal was to get back to work, but I was already working!! However, the fact I was working showed in the improvement at rehab. Both worked together to make me much better.If I was at home not working, I think my recovery would have been slower because the motivation would not have been there.My going to work was my PT exercises. I think it is a lot harder for those at home. I think I wouldn't be as far advanced if I had the option to stay at home.
Keep it up. Even 11 months post stroke I have my off days and my good days and I am still improving just more subtlety now!
Hi thekoalaz,
Thank you for joining in the conversation. What a wonderful idea for the Speech Pathologist to record your speech so you can hear it from others perspective! It must have been very interesting to hear back.
It's wonderful returning to work helped you with your recovery and overall it's been a positive experience despite it taking a lot of effort.
Best wishes with your ongoing recovery.
Simone (StrokeLine on 1800 787 653)
My speech therapist recorded my speech so I look forward to comparing improved speech. Daily repetition of word lists worthwhile.i know I have improved. At about 4p.m my speech begins to slur or if feel emotional voice goes off. JENNY
My sense of taste was affected after my stroke, with many foods tasting absolutely disgusting and not at all like they used to. Ultimately my GP went through the fine, fine print on the Information sheets of the medications I'd started taking post stroke. He found that in a small percentage of people one of my medications could affect taste. As soon as I stopped taking that medication my taste returned to the way it used to be. Most medication info shhets are now online, so it might be worth taking a look or talking to your doctor.
