Overseas Travel

Emma
Emmaon Wednesday, January 11 2017
9 Comments

Hi Everyone,

 

I am a stroke survivor and am keen to begin travelling more overseas. But keen to find out  w whether there are certain schemes you can apply for to get subsidised travel etc for people with a disability travelling overseas? In Australia I can use my companion card and 1/2 price MPTP Card but am not sure if this worth pursuing?

 

If anyone has any tips, please let me know;)

 

Em

 
 
 
9 Responses

I'm also a survivor and would be interested to hear if anyone has any first hand experience with travel insurance post stroke?

Hi Fiona and Emma,

 

Here are a few conversations and info shared through enableme and facebook about travel insurance.

 

Here is a blog from Chris Lassig about AllClear

Kevin English has traveled a lot since his stroke - you can message him here 

Some from Heather about Cover One 

Some Facebook comments about Vero and Southern Cross

Christine Lassnig: Just had to respond as our names are nearly identical and I too had a stroke and cardiac arrest just over two years ago,(46), and have now been looking for travel insurance as I am finally going to do some travelling, and have found insurance quite expensive, due to my circumstance, but have found a good deal through my bank and Vero.

Philo:  I used Southern Cross Travel (Australian Company) who covered me at a very competitive price after several illnesses ....https://www.scti.com.au/

 

Hope this helps - Diana 

Hi Emma and Fiona,

Diana has provided some great links and information from other enableme and Facebook users.

Tripadvisor has a wealth of information. If you have an idea of where you'd like to go and what you need to make your trip comfortable (wheelchair access, good public transport etc.), then I'd suggest posting a question in one of their forums.

In terms of subsidised travel schemes, this will be dependent on the country that you're travelling to. I'm assuming that to be eligible for most schemes you'd need to be a resident of the country before you apply. That doesn't mean to say that you couldn't access things like disability parking permits for the length of your stay.

 

If we can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to give StrokeLine a call on 1800 787 653.

 

Best wishes,

Alana (Speech Pathologist for StrokeLine)

Hi Fiona,

I,m six plus years stroke survivor and last year went to New Zealand with my wife on a fully escorted  Grand pacific Luxuary Coach and Rail Trip.

 

I met and emailed  several times with the Tour operators before I went so that they understood my needs for disability toilets , my walking frame and my rest periods each day.

I also took out travel insurance with Cover-More Australia and disclosed my conditons with a letter from my doctor. The cover was expensive but well worth it as I needed a Paramedic/ Ambulance and medical centre treament one day and just a medical centre trearment another day  at Wellington.

 

I had a special card from the Insurance so I could contact them if i needed treatment while on holiday, so I did .

I had to pay up front for the teatments and ambulance ( $1,000  alone ) and claim costs back with reciepts once back home. I could not use My Australia ambulance cover.

The Coach captain was of great assistance and arranged for me to be picked up from the Medical centre after treatment .  He also helped me to walk  up stairs, onto boats get served at meals when out etec.  He was fantastic and very understanding. 

The insurance company made me  fill out a lot of forms and get supporting information and receipts but after a few weeks  theypaid up.  I would use them again although they might be very wary given my history and what they had to pay out.

 

Hope this helps you a bit.

Dean 

Hi, I only had my stroke on 31 December 2016 and was concerned about my overseas trip already booked for April.  I have been lucky and have no major mobility/cognitive issues, however, my current travel insurance provider will not cover me for stroke.  Thanks to some of the comments/suggestions posted, I have now been able to obtain cover and feel more comfortable about travelling.

Thanks to all

Karen

Hi Emma,

 

I traveled last year and it took me awhile to obtain travel insurance.  I had to answer questions to through a travel agent that made me feel vulnerable.  My insurance doubled and there is nothing one can do about it apart from not take it out.  Not much of an option but I paid double just for peace of mind.

 

Dave

I haven't done any overseas travel in the 3 years since my stroke, however would be curious for anyone who had a blood clot (venous thrombosis), do you take blood thinning medication (eg clexane) before flights? I am not on any usual medication as my clot was caused by pregnancy.

1
Loading reply form...