Travel insurance

Jen
Jenon Tuesday, December 26 2017
13 Comments

Hi, 

i had a stroke just over a year ago, and while always “recovering”, I am back at work 3 days pw and have recently discussed possibility of modest travel with my doctor. 

Aware of the need to declare all existing medical conditions, I would welcome information about travel insurers who may make travel to NZ a possibility? 

Many good news?

jen

13 Responses

Hi Jen,

I had my orifginal stroke in 2013 and a number of TIAs/min strokes with the last of these in JAnuary 2017. I'm off overseas (to the UK) in 2018 for 7 weeks and was able to organise travel insurance throghu Covermore and it only cost about $200 more. 

 

Toni

Thanks, this is helpful.I had been told horror stories of travel insurance costing more than any other element of travel. One last question - were you required to undergo ultrasounds (Doppler) and did you have to pay for these privately?

Jen

I didn;t have to undergo any tests. I think one of the questions was how long since last stroke and my last ministroke had been more than six months. I don;t know what the requirements would have been if it had been within the six month timeframe.

Also, earlier this year I went to Lady Elliot Island & Fraser Island and organised that insurance through RACV and that again cost $200 extra and again there were no requirements for any tests etc

Have a great time on your trip

Toni

Hi,Jen, I had a massive stroke in 2012 but managed to travel to Canada in 2016. We transmitted in San Fran. The 14 + hours to San Fran  from Sydney was rather uncomfortable in Economy class and not being able to readjust myself in the seat I had to pay approx $200 more than for each of the others in the travelling partythe for  travel insurance with pre-existing condition declared. I got the travel insurance through NRMA. Enjoy your trip Jen. Best wishes.

Hi Jen, I travelled to the UK 3 months (6 week trip had already been booked) after my major stroke (luckily quick clot removal meant only loss of fine motor skills).  I took out new travel insurance and the premium was quite high (about $450 extra) as the stroke was relatively recent.  Insurer advised that premiums go down if the stroke was more than 12 months ago.   No tests were required.  Check out the various insurers - can be quite a difference in premiums.  Take your holiday and have a great time.  

thanks everyone - information has been really helpful - and encouraging! NZ here i come! - (later in year)

1
Loading reply form...