Dizziness Post Stroke

Lmn5
Lmn5on Saturday, July 30 2016
4 Comments

Hi All

I'm writing on behalf of my dad who had a stroke 8weeks ago now. He suffered quite a major stroke which has effected the right side of his body.

He is constantly complaining about feeling dizzy, which is really starting to get him down and is really keeping him house bound at present which is very sad to see. He is sleeping quite a lot as this is the only way he feels he can cope with the dizziness. 

I have done some research into the topic which lead me to a couple of clinics in Perth that deal with this issue - perth dizziness and balance clinic and also Perth Brain centre. 

 

I was just wanting to know if anyone has any information on this constant dizziness Dad is experiencing or if anyone has tried either one of the clinics above or similar and what their thoughts were on them.

 

Thanks so much 😊

 

4 Responses

I developed Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, BPPV, for a while post-stroke and it was bloody awful.

Good thing is it's a plumbing issue rather than another neurological issue, it's benign and easily fixed with the Epley manoeuver. I'd ask your Neoro to consider this as the cause as it's easily diagnosed.

Over to you Strokeline team, I know you're lurking in here.

 

Hope this helps and I hope your Dad gets some relief, it isn't pleasant.

 

Cheers,

 

Adrian

 

http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2013/januaryfebruary/the-epley-manoeuvre/

 

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

 

Hi there,

Thanks Adrian for sharing your experience :-)

 

Sorry to hear about your dad's stroke and the dizziness he is experiencing. It's understandable he wants to sleep to ease it and it's starting to get him down.

I would suggest getting a review to investigate the possible cause of the dizziness. It could be due to a number of things - the location of his stroke, vertigo (as Ade has suggested) or even related to medication or something else. Low blood pressure can also cause dizziness although this appears more extreme. Speaking with your dad's GP or the specialist would be the first step to find out what is going on and to work out the best treatment. Once they know what is causing it they can best treat it with physio or medication, etc. If the dizziness gets worse or he has any signs of stroke like severe headache, vomiting, etc then please call 000. 

 

I would also suggest chatting to his physio if he has one. Do you know what area of the brain or type of stroke your dad had? If you would like to discuss in more detail please don't hesitate to call us on StrokeLine on 1800 787 653 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

 

Best wishes,

 

Simone (Occupational Therapist for StrokeLine)

Hi Lmn5;

Thank you for noting your question regarding dad's dizziness. 

 

I had a stroke with a very bad bleed in August 2015. Since then I have suffered from constant dizziness and nausea. I have been told it will eventually go by itself. 

 

Not sure whether your dad had his stroke 8 weeks ago or if this was after rehab etc. I spent 8 weeks in hospital and rehab after mine. 

 

If if dad has only had his 8 weeks ago it is very likely he will be very tired and resting is not going to harm him. He will probably not to be happy but it is very important he keeps going. My daughter would take me out each day even if only for 5 minutes to the shop. My daughter was the one who eventually said mum do you want to sleep or do you just think you do. This made me think twice and I am now walking a couple of kilometres each day Exercising  and doing daily chores like washing up cooking ironing etc. Hopefully dad has a good group of rehab helpers to get him exercising and moving.

 

When I was in ab the physio's tried the Epley manoeuvre with me but it did not work. I would definately talk to your contacts and see what they suggest. 

 

I still suffer with the dizziness and nausea but it is eventually slowly getting better.

 

Very best wishes for you and dad. Lots of caring hugs.

 

Bev

Hi Lmn5,

Sorry to to learn of your fathers condition. A major stroke that your father experienced has nodoubt  left him with other physical and neurological issues requiring ongoing neurological and  physiotherapy rabilitation programs to reduce their effects on daily life. I hope you have been successful in locating a nearby neurologist and physiotherapist. The sooner a rehabilitation program is started the better to enble the brain to make the necessary adjustments to carry out daily tasks. From my own experience the cognitive difficulties compounded by mobility issues can leave you very frustrated and depressed. Your families ongoing support and that if your GP with help reduce his anxiety at his present limitations. Please let me know how your father said managing and I hope he can take comfort in your support and that of the medical personnel who deal with stroke issues.

 

Best wishes to you and your family,

 

Allan

Loading reply form...