Stroke of the right carotid artery

Michael
Michaelon Sunday, January 6 2019
5 Comments

Hi there,

Happy new year.  I had a stroke of the right carotid artery very early in 2018.  In fact it wasn't detected for at least 3 months despite going to my GP (he had thought I was suffering stress due to two deaths in my family within the past 6 months) and telling him all my symptoms. Only when I told him that I thought I had a stroke did he arranged for me to have an x-ray first and to see a neurologist.  Anyway, to cut the long story short, I was diagnosed with this stroke after an MRI-scan - this was in May 2018.  I am lucky enough to not suffer much side effects. I was confused at times and had anxiety issues.  I also lost a lot of strength on my left arm/hands.  But slowly since my diagnose, I have been going to physio and this has helped much.  My neurologist said I need not see a OT.

I was asked to take Cartia aspirin (100mg) and as my cholesterol is a big high, I had taken Crestor.  As it caused parts of my limbs/shoulder to be sore, my GP changed to another tablet.  I saw my neurologist again in September and he said I am on the mend, the MRI-scan showed the right carotid to have healed.  He said no need to see him any more but to continue taking the medication and any issues, to see my GP.  I am able to continue driving though I took myself off driving much earlier.  Am glad to say that I have gained back most of my confidence.

I just would like to touch base with anyone suffering similar stroke as I am and just want to check how you are doing after your diagnose.

Hope to hear from you.  Maybe we can help each other and encourage each other.

5 Responses

Hi Michael, 

Would you like me to include your post in the next EnableMe newsletter? Hopefully you will be able to connect with others with similar experiences.

Diana  

Hi Diana,

Thanks very much for your response.  I am still trying to work myself through this website...and I have my wife to help me along too.  Yes, please include my post in the next newsletter.  Much appreciated.  Is there a support group for people who have had stroke in the carotid artery?  Thanks again and kind regards.

Hi Michael,

I don't know of an online group that is specific to people who have had a stroke in the carotid artery, but it is quite a common cause of stroke so I suggest that you join any group that is available where you can meet like minded people. Here is a link to local support groups . I also suggest that you give StrokeLine a call 1800 787 653.

Diana 

Hi Michael,

I also shared your question on Facebook and there were quite a few answers. Including that there is in fact a specific carotid artery community on Facebook and Shelagh is trying to get a link for you.

 

Here are all the answers:

 

Hi Michael. I am writing this on behalf of Roger, my husband who suffered a similar stroke, 4 years ago. For the recovery path there was 2 years of intensive therapy, this included physiotherapy, speech therapy and whatever else it took to help with the neuroplasticity healing process. Roger was paralysed on his entire right side, had to learn to walk and talk again, along with trying to gain movement and some sort of control with his right hand, this is still a problem, with definite weakness and immobility. There were high levels of anxiety, confusion, depression and anxiety. Roger is now post stroke 4 years. He has learnt to adapt and accept, he still has anxiety moments and fatigue is also an issue, high levels of fatigue will affect his thinking and delivery of speech. He has aphasia. Michael this is life changing for you, you will move on and find yourself again, it takes time. It also helps if you have support around you and take what is offered, any help is offered with only the best intentions for you. Let yourself own your feelings and go with the flow, it does help with the frustration levels, we are not all perfect and can make allowances to a point. We wish you well on your recovery journey and please know you can always vent or voice to us, will listen. Cheers for now Roger and Karen.

 

Keep going Michael. I had my stroke Dec (2017). I have weakness left had and my walking isn’t perfect either. Exercise move the body, use the left side as much as possible. Tell your mind to move forward, it’s mind over matter that’s how I worked through it. I’m back at work, driving and even taking the dogs out on my own.
Also I read a very inspirational book “My Stroke of Insight” by Jill Bolt Taylor true story. She has a (Ted talk) on iTunes. That’s what helped me with my recovery. I’m not back to my pre stroke health but I’m stronger and on my way to a better me. All the best for 2019. – Lorrence

 

Hi Michael
Two of my members of my stroke group had similar. 
There is a FB site fir this specific type of stroke too and will try and find it for you
Tim Freeman can you help?



Even though every stroke is different, we all suffer similar emotional issues and anxiety is way up there on the list. Just keep moving forward, reach out for support and stay positive
Much love
Shelagh

 

Hi Michael I too have had a right carotid artery dissection in November 2014. I am extremely fortunate in that I only have mild left sided weakness. I do find when walking that I often cannot really feel my left foot, which I believe has to do with the hypersensitivity that I have. I still continue with pool rehab for my balance & walking but in this situation I do have to block out the noise as that unnerves me. Good luck with your ongoing recovery. It can be tiresome, but rest up when you need too. – Sharon

 

Hey Michael, 
I started suffering from bad anxiety after my stroke. Always here to chat – Priya

 

Hi Michael,
Sorry to hear about your stroke and misdiagnosis.
Living with the aftermath of a stroke is confusing and confronting. I found that self education about what type of stroke I had helpful. I leaned into discomfort rather than trying to push it away. Mindfulness, meditation. Music, clssical was good.
Good on you for reaching out and all the best with your ongoing recovery. šŸ˜šŸ˜
Sue

 

Hi Michael I had a left carotid artery dissection in 2011, so I have Rt sided weakness and no feeling but I can use it. Also I have aphasia worked hard to get it back to speak but spelling and reading are an issues. I'm living my life and enjoying it! Keep working at what you really want! Take care Val

From Maggie,

 

Hi Michael, Sorry to hear that it took so long to diagnose your stroke. I suffered a stroke of the right carotid artery 6 months ago. I spent one week in hospital where I had weakness in my left arm and leg and my vision was effected. I was fortunate that with rehab I was back walking, and my strength improved by the time I left hospital. Continued with rehab and exercises at home now strength back to normal but vision in my right eye is still effected. I’m working but can only manage about 6 hours before the fatigue kicks in. I am also struggling with anxiety, depression and I become very emotional. I find when I get tired the confusion is worse. I’m currently getting help for these issues, will see how I go. Take care and wish you well in your recovery. Regards, Maggie

Loading reply form...