An app called Constant Therapy

Lara210
Lara210on Tuesday, January 8 2019
4 Comments

Hi. I just came across an app call Constant Therapy when researching for a friend if there are any great memory apps out there. This app seems to address a lot more than memory issues but I ticked the 'memory' option when I signed up for their free trial to have a play on it. Because it’s a subscription app, I’d like to hear any feedback (survivors and therapists) whether you’ve used it and recommend it. 

I have a therapy/science background and I was pretty impressed but it’s $250/yr so wanted to hear if, especially therapists, would recommend it. 

Enableme - could you please let me know if I should pop this under the 'Ask a professional, bit. 

4 Responses

Hi Lara,

I'm a speech pathologist and I use this app with a few post-stroke clients in the community setting.

It's definitely pricey but I think depending on the deficits post-stroke it can be really useful. I would recommend speaking to your friend's SP about whether it is suitable as I have found that people with more global language and cognitive deficits find it hard to use without support. Also, depending on the specific impairments there are sometimes limited activities at the appropriate therapy level. Overall I would recommend it (for the right client) and have found that clients enjoy the variety and feedback the app provides.

It might be worth asking under the 'Ask a professional' section too!

Thanks Andrea. My friend is looking for memory help because he is high functioning but says he can forget whole conversations the next day. What discipline does memory? Is it OT for more day-to-day memory and more neuro-psych for advanced thinking/memory? I'll just post a question now. Thanks. 

Hi Lara and Andrea,

 

Lara, thanks so much for your post and for starting the conversation.

 

This is such an interesting topic. Brain training apps came up in our podcast on Memory loss after stroke. One of our podcast guests, Toni Withiel (Monash University Neuropsychology doctoral student) described his research study and at the time reported that there was no evidence to support the effect of brain training games in improving our thinking skills and that improvement did not transfer or generalise to real world every day improvement. Participants in the study did not report a change or improvement in their functional memory. We would really encourage you to read the podcast transcript or listen if you would like more information about the study findings.

 

We had a look into the Constant Therapy website and from what we could see, most of the studies were feasibility studies or pilot programs. There were a couple that had a test group and control group, but in these both groups were using the app and the test group used it more. It’s also worth noting that the outcome measures were performance on the app tasks, rather than functional outcomes.

 

You may also like to have a look at an article by Tejal Shah with tips on how to pick a brain training program backed by evidence: https://theconversation.com/some-brain-training-programs-are-backed-by-evidence-heres-how-to-pick-them-73205

 

As Andrea has mentioned, we would suggest seeking advice from the treating team first. In an ideal situation, you would have your team of therapists who know you well and can take you through the app, work out if it’s the right fit and monitor this overtime. If your friend is not currently seeing a team of therapists, they could ask for a referral from their GP.

To answer your second question, Occupational therapists (OT) and neuropsychologists often work together in addressing memory and thinking changes. And both would be able to work with him to develop practical strategies to manage any difficulties he might be having. A neuropsychologist is able to complete testing of advanced memory and thinking skills. This is particularly important if someone who has had a stroke and needs to make complex decisions or wants to return to driving. An OT assesses the person while they are performing everyday tasks (for example cooking, shopping etc.). There are also OT’s who have completed further training to complete driving assessments.

 

As always, please get in touch with us if you have any other questions on StrokeLine. It would also be interesting to hear of anyone in the community has used this app and can share their experience.

 

Best Wishes,

 

Kirsty and Lisa

 

(Occupational Therapist and Speech Pathologist on StrokeLine)

 

StrokeLine 1800 787 653

Thanks so much for your in depth answer. That helps. Cheers

Loading reply form...