Mini Stroke or TIA

jessbird
jessbirdon Friday, November 18 2016
15 Comments

Hi,

 

My name is Jessica, I am 26 years of age and I had a mini stroke (TIA), in August of 2015. Two weeks after my mini stroke I had a PFO closure. 

 

My doctors expected me to bounce back quite quickly as am young and was quite healthy. However, over a year later and I am still struggling particularly with fatigue. Other issues I continue to deal with are; lack of concentration at times, aching/pain in legs and right arm, the shakes if I don't eat regularly and a bit of chest pain (which my cardiologist said can be normal). I am still only able to handle about 15 hrs of work a week and lack a lot of strength and energy. 

 

I wanted to open up a conversation about mini-stroke or TIA, to connect with those who have experienced this type of stroke. To get support from those going through something similar. 

 

 

 

 

15 Responses

Hi Jessica

 

I had a TIA (now correctly diagnosed as a stroke due to confirmed MRI imaging) 12 months ago and still have fatigue. I am otherwise very healthy and am 37 year old mum of two. I have been offered a PFO closure by some doctors....not all. Very tricky decision to make. 

It may be worth checking that your amplatzer/other device is all OK. Some people have experienced symptoms related to their device such as nickel allergy rather than ongoing symptoms from the stroke. Perhaps follow up with your interventional cardiologist? 

Meg

 

Hi Jessica,

 

You may be interested in reaching out to maria Lewis. Here is a video of her talking about her TIA: 

 

Here is her website.

Hi Jessica. I had my TIA December 2015 (apparently my 3rd, but the other 2, I thought they were migraine symptoms), and I also am fatigued and I get sidetracked very easily. I have notes and messages to remind me of what I need to do. I had had some memory loss but through playing brain games it's getting better. I like you struggle to work for a long time. I struggle with 10 hrs a week. I have found that listening to my body has helped and I do baby steps with everything. I have anxiety too from the TIA and am now slowly facing each fear one by one. I feel better knowing this is normal and I am not alone. Thank you 

Hi Meg, 

I seem to be in a similar position as you have been. I am currently looking into if I did in fact have a stroke rather than a TIA, I have an appointment with my neurologist to clarify. 

Either way, thank you for the advice about looking into my amplatzer device. I did not know about that possibility. 

 

Hi Diana, 

Thank you for that video, yes I had seen it but it is helpful for others who have had a TIA. 

 

Hi Cherie,

I'm glad you commented and shared your story. I too feel better knowing that this is normal and that I am not alone. I have been corresponding with Meilta (StrokeConnect Officer from the stroke foundation) and she has been more helpful than I can express. If you do want to talk and get more support, talking with a StrokeConnect Officer has been extremely helpful for me! Even just to share that you are having a rough day. Please feel free to contact me more if you want :)  

Hi Jessica

My name is Jim and I had mini stroke  TIA dec 2016 but at the time had no idea what the problem was until saw oc next day.  When the doc suggested I had a mini stroke I told her it was not possible as I was too tall. Anyway when through all the tests and scans only to come up empty as the cause.

Unfortunately since first event things slowly getting worse. Started in right hand, toes and lips. Now both sides, headaches, tired most of the time but only sleep about 5 to 6 hrs a night.

Not sure if I should waste docs time raising all this if it is just what happens.

Anyway focus is be fit enough to go camping with my young grand daughters in June for 3 odd weeks. Nothing like a camp fire in the Australian bush with all those stars to keep us company.

Looks like a whole new life now but had a good run being 69 soon.

What is a PFO closure? Not being picked for the test team?

Hi Jim

Sorry to hear of your recent TIA , hey I'm no Dr , a survivor myself , those tingles and headaches are worth getting checked out again I reckon.  There is a number somewhere on this site to call Stroke line or ask a professional. 

Stay well ! Great humour on the mini stroke for a tall person by the way šŸ‘

Sue Bowden

Thanks Sue was not aware so many people suffered from a stroke, Real wake up call and do not think may people understand what is happening when it comes along. Just like me. Anywho seeing Doc on 10th this month. Been brushing up on stroke jokes as I think you got to laugh at yourself through life or you just be a sad sack.

Hope you going well and keeping out of the pubs.

What is PFO closure.

1
Loading reply form...