Residual tingles and numbness

Danika
Danikaon Friday, January 20 2023
5 Comments

Hello everyone, 

I suffered a stroke on Boxing Day. I’m normally a very healthy 37 yr old with no prior risk factors. After some investigation, Drs have found a PFO and the gene mutation Factor II, which has given me some answers as to why it happened.

 

I am extremely lucky as I have recovered from my stroke with minimal deficits (a little foggy in my head and some mild numbness on my left foot). 

What I’d like some insight on is I am suffering from what I call ‘shock waves’ after my initial stroke. I get random spots of tingling and numbness all over my body every few days. These waves generally last for a few seconds and die down then come back again over an hour or so, other times it’s just one or two and then it’s gone. The Drs seem to think it’s my brain healing and making new paths in the damaged areas, but it’s very scary because the symptoms are the same as what my initial stroke felt like- just not as intense. Sometimes they stop me in my tracks with their intensity. 

I’ve read some information about neuropathy pain, which seems to fit my symptoms, but I’d just like to hear if anyone else has experienced similar after their stroke? 

Some days I feel great. Others my head feels very tingly, full of pressure.

 

Im on Eliquis and I’m just hoping that is enough. I’m waiting for a surgery date for the PFO closure in hopefully a few weeks.

 

Thanks for reading.

 

Danika

 

5 Responses

Hi Danika,

Very sorry to hear you had a stroke. My thoughts are with you. I had an ischemic stroke on 18/11/2022 which I am told was very minor. 

I had persistent pins and needles and numbness two days post stroke. This has impacted my left side, my stroke was on the right side of my brain. 

The numbness comes and goes and the intensity of the pins and needles is only really felt in my left foot and my index, middle and ring fingertips on my left hand. The severity of this comes and goes. 

I have a newborn so am constantly fatigued and I think that exacerbates my tingles, I’m told it would make any residual symptoms worse. Anxiety also doesn’t help. I too think it sometimes feels like when I had a stroke, but not as severe and this does make me afraid. 

I have an apt with a neuro on Tuesday where I am excited to talk about all my changing symptoms and whether it’s normal etc. 

Hopefully this helps you in some way. From what I have read, everyone feels different as no stroke is the same  

wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery  

lisa 

 

Hi Danika,

Very sorry to hear you had a stroke. My thoughts are with you. I had an ischemic stroke on 18/11/2022 which I am told was very minor. 

I had persistent pins and needles and numbness two days post stroke. This has impacted my left side, my stroke was on the right side of my brain. 

The numbness comes and goes and the intensity of the pins and needles is only really felt in my left foot and my index, middle and ring fingertips on my left hand. The severity of this comes and goes. 

I have a newborn so am constantly fatigued and I think that exacerbates my tingles, I’m told it would make any residual symptoms worse. Anxiety also doesn’t help. I too think it sometimes feels like when I had a stroke, but not as severe and this does make me afraid. 

I have an apt with a neuro on Tuesday where I am excited to talk about all my changing symptoms and whether it’s normal etc. 

Hopefully this helps you in some way. From what I have read, everyone feels different as no stroke is the same  

wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery  

lisa 

 

Hi Danika,

Very sorry to hear you had a stroke. My thoughts are with you. I had an ischemic stroke on 18/11/2022 which I am told was very minor. 

I had persistent pins and needles and numbness two days post stroke. This has impacted my left side, my stroke was on the right side of my brain. 

The numbness comes and goes and the intensity of the pins and needles is only really felt in my left foot and my index, middle and ring fingertips on my left hand. The severity of this comes and goes. 

I have a newborn so am constantly fatigued and I think that exacerbates my tingles, I’m told it would make any residual symptoms worse. Anxiety also doesn’t help. I too think it sometimes feels like when I had a stroke, but not as severe and this does make me afraid. 

I have an apt with a neuro on Tuesday where I am excited to talk about all my changing symptoms and whether it’s normal etc. 

Hopefully this helps you in some way. From what I have read, everyone feels different as no stroke is the same  

wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery  

lisa 

 

Hi Danika,

Very sorry to hear you had a stroke. My thoughts are with you. I had an ischemic stroke on 18/11/2022 which I am told was very minor. 

I had persistent pins and needles and numbness two days post stroke. This has impacted my left side, my stroke was on the right side of my brain. 

The numbness comes and goes and the intensity of the pins and needles is only really felt in my left foot and my index, middle and ring fingertips on my left hand. The severity of this comes and goes. 

I have a newborn so am constantly fatigued and I think that exacerbates my tingles, I’m told it would make any residual symptoms worse. Anxiety also doesn’t help. I too think it sometimes feels like when I had a stroke, but not as severe and this does make me afraid. 

I have an apt with a neuro on Tuesday where I am excited to talk about all my changing symptoms and whether it’s normal etc. 

Hopefully this helps you in some way. From what I have read, everyone feels different as no stroke is the same  

wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery  

lisa 

 

Hi Danika,

  

 

Thank you for sharing your story and experience on EnableMe. It’s good that your doctors have been able to find some of the contributing factors to your stroke, hopefully you too think of it as a positive thing.

 

 

I am sorry to hear of your ongoing issues with numbness and tingling or what you refer to as ‘shock waves.’ It is understandably very daunting when the sensation feels very similar to what you feltwhen you had your stroke.

 

 

Altered sensations after a stroke can be common as discussed on this page on EnableMe Vision and senses | enableme - stroke recovery and support.

 

 

You may like to have a listen to this podcast which discusses this occurrence, where one of the guests talks about her experience with altered sensations/pins and needles and sensory overload. There is also a transcript available with the same link.

 

This article discusses tingling sensations after stroke as well as causes and treatment methods.

 

 

We do know that sense therapy could be helpful as well as sensory re-education; however it is always best to discuss these therapies further with your treating allied health therapist and doctor.

 

 

It sounds like you have taken a proactive approach in managing your stroke recovery which means you are already on the right track.

 

 

Also, you mentioned that you have been commenced on Eliquis which is an anticoagulant and that you are waiting on your PFO closure – these are all working towards your secondary stroke prevention and reducing your risk.

 

 

The fear of another stroke is very common and understandable as discussed in this podcast. However other survivors of stroke as yourself have mentioned that it helps to focus on the things you can control.

 

 

Make sure to discuss your concerns with your main supports, your doctor and your treating team. Together, you can work towards a better recovery, reducing your stroke risk  and hopefully peace of mind as well.

 

 

If you would like to discuss with us further, please don’t hesitate to get in touch at StrokeLine 1800 787 653 or email strokeline@strokefoundation.org.au. We are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm AEDST.

 

Kind regards,

Fi (strokeLine)

Loading reply form...