Heart flutters after pro closure

Meri91
Meri91on Tuesday, August 13 2024
2 Comments

I am a 32F; mom of 2 little ones and a nurse. I had my son in 2021; at 3 months postpartum I had some weird neuro symptoms (facial sensitivity; arm numbness/no facial droop). I presented to the nearest emergency room where the emergency doctors told me because of my history of migraines with aura I likely have an atypical migraine. I proceeded to visit the ER at least three more times before I took matters in my own hands each time requesting an MRI or further testing and being denied. I paid for a private MRI $800 later the MRI showed I had an old infarct in the cerebellum. 

I was followed by a neurologist for my migraines with aura since the age of 21 that’s when the first began. I brought my MRI results to my neurologist, who proceeded with the whole bunch of cardiac follow up, referring me to a cardiologist in town after a few weeks of waiting to see the cardiologist and consultation. I finally got an appointment. The cardiologist sent me for a TEE; it showed a large PFO; bubble test showed the same and this is what concluded my reasoning for a stroke. 

After a LONG 3.5 yr battle with my anxiety (newly discovered due to discovering the old infarct) I had my PFO closed today. I was awake but medicated so  all I felt was pressure in the groin incision sites; my heart fluttered while I watched the screen and could see the procedure transpire and device dispatched. I was in and out of the CATH lab in 1 hour. I lay flat 2 hrs while on bed rest. I was brought a light meal to consume in the 3rd hour; followed by a walk with the nurse. I had on and off flutters during and after procedure. I was discharged home 6 hrs after initial arrival to day unit at the heart institute. 

I am still super fresh out of hospital and I understand flutters/palms are common post procedure. 

My question to the community is how long if at all did your heart flutters/palpitations take to cease? 

<3 Meri91

2 Responses

Hi Meri,

Thank you for reaching out to the community with your question about heart flutters after a PFO closure. 

I had a PFO closure back in 2021. I'm not sure I experienced exactly the same as what you're describing, but I definitely remember noticing and feeling anxious about every sensation I felt in my heart and wondering if it was normal or not. I think it took a little while for me to stop paying such close attention to my heart and enjoy the feeling of relief that I'd just lowered my risk of having another stroke. 

Now that a few more days have passed since your procedure, I hope you're feeling more confident. If you're worried or anxious that something isn't right, it's always worth checking in with a healthcare professional.

All the best,

Sophie

Hi Meri91,

 

I’m sorry to hear about your stroke and the difficulties you had in getting a diagnosis but commend you for advocating for yourself.

 

If you haven’t already seen it, you may also be interested in this video regarding PFO closures that was recently posted on EnableMe https://enableme.org.au/community/blogs/view-blog?blogId=0abd90dd-0c07-4156-9167-e17c11e726ef.

 

In regard to your question about heart flutter we would highly recommend speaking to your medical specialist to gain further advice. With medical procedures it’s important to get individualised advice that is specific to your situation to ensure the best care is provided.

 

Feel free to reach out to us at StrokeLine on ph 1800 787 653, or email strokeline@strokefoundation.org.au to talk through how you are recovering from stroke. We are available Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm AEST. Your GP may also be helpful to link you in with mental health supports too if you need.

 

Wishing you all the best,

 

Jo (Strokeline)

 

Loading reply form...