How long post strokes are safe to undergo weight loss surgery or should it be put off?

Leah JS
Leah JSon November 2, 2016
1 Comment
8 weeks ago I had a seizure and two very small strokes occurred also caused by extensive blood clots throughout my neck breaking off and the clots had also almost cut off blood flow to my shoulder and left arm. My vascular surgeon has advised it looks as though the clots have now cleared and normal blood flow is restored. I am very lucky to only have minimal side effects from the strokes as it all happened in ED in hospital and physically am pretty much back to normal and only seem to struggling with tiredness and concentration but apart from that my neurosurgeon is very happy and impressed with my progress but I do not go back for a follow up for another thee month now. I am also a diabetic on insulin, high BP, sleep apnea and weight issues. 2 years ago I also suffered very extensive clots on my lungs after having my daughter via c section and with my weight my lungs now struggle also. My cardiologist has ruled out any issues with my heart but the cause of the clots leading to my strokes are unknown. Before the strokes I had booked in weight loss surgery for February 2017, just wondering how long post strokes are safe to undergo this type of surgery or should it be put off?
1 Responses

Hi Leah,

 

I’m sorry to hear about the seizure and strokes you’ve had. It’s great that you are progressing well with your recovery. Fatigue and reduced concentration are unfortunately common after stroke. Poor concentration can also worsen with fatigue. Have you found any strategies that reduce the fatigue?

 

Here is a link to an enableme conversation, with stroke survivors sharing practical tips that have worked for them: https://enableme.org.au/Users/Profile/My-Blogs/View-Blog?blogId=5eef96e4-c5c0-4bea-b344-d447a8cd143b

 

I’d also suggest speaking to your GP about other factors which may be contributing to the fatigue. For example, medications, any pre-existing medical conditions, diet, exercise.

 

In terms of surgery after stroke, given the individual nature of stroke and given the cause of the clots is unknown, I would suggest speaking to your neurologist about whether it is safe to proceed.

 

Please give us a call if you’d like to chat further or have other questions,

 

Best Wishes,

Lisa (StrokeLine - 1800 787 653) 

Loading reply form...