PFO Closure - Surgery Recovery

Josnjos
Josnjoson Thursday, December 15 2016
21 Comments

Hi all, 

 

I had a stroke just over 4 weeks ago at 38 years old, and yesterday I had my Cardiology review at RBWH in Brisbane. The Cardiologist has said that I need to have the PFO closed, and has referred me to see Dr Karl Poon privately. He said the closure was required due to my age and because I have a 'floppy wall' as well, I think he called it an aneurysm. 

 

I just wanted to ask those that have had a PFO closure, what the surgery was like, and what the recovery was like? I have already had a lot of time off with my stroke and won't have any leave left if this procedure needs a long recovery. 

 

Any info is greatly appreciated! 

21 Responses

Hi there,

 

Thanks for starting a conversation on PFO closure. There are a few people in the enableme community who have had closures. You may be more likely to get a response or find what you are looking for joining in previous conversations here, here and here. There are some comments around recovery, time in hospital and peace of mind after closure that may help.

 

If you wish to discuss don't hesitate to call StrokeLine on 1800 787 653.

 

Best wishes,

 

Simone (StrokeLine)

G'day,  Whilst you have survived a life changing event, I can only pass on my personal experience.  I had tow cryptogenic events, and found to have a large PFO\ASD.  I was originally told it could be managed by medication until another CVA.  Whilst I was having any of this, an appointment was made with the top cardiologist in my state.  I had the operation  on a Friday and back at work on the Tuesday.  Complications are rare but do happen just like any other operation

Only minor issues I had was a couple of hours after surgery, I had a pretty rough nurse.  When she was placing the large balloon on my wound, it was pumped up and then she decided to shift it without reducing the pressure, it hurt like crazy.  After 4 hours it was removed or I was going to loose my bladder function and dignity HIHI.

Only thing that I had was a bruise from my knee to below my ribs and half way across my abdomen..  I went to the gym 3 days after surgery, just a light bike ride for 10 minutes as per direction of Doc.

Best thing I had done and don't regret anything.  Yes it takes a bit out of you, but worth the tiredness for the first week.  Just remember to take your medications and be kind to yourself.

 

Hope this helps you

 

Cheers

 

Dave

Hello everyone, I need info and support.recently diagnosed with a hole in my heart that must be closed. Such a shock and relief that we now know reason for strokes. One massive 4years ago and 4 mini over the last two months. All too much. I will be having the procedure of up through the groin. No surgery due to risk factors, age, type 1 diabetes andage. Apprehensive with risk of further strokes before  procedure. Specialists here take long holidays at this time. My GP now takes over from the neurologist and  finds the appropriate person. Is there anyone in the community who has been through the same procedure.Jenny

Hi Jenny,

 

Did you speak to Simone today on StrokeLine 1800 787 653? 

 

Do you still want me to post your question on Facebook too?

 

Diana 

Hi Josnos and Jenny,

 

I have just don a post about PFO closures on Facebook, here are some responses:

Josh Pitman: I have just got home today from having my PFO closed yesterday. It was a very straightforward procedure and I was only in hospital overnight. I am 38 and had a stroke and a TIA last year, both caused by the PFO. All I have is a bit of discomfort at the site in my groin, otherwise I feel great :)

Alicia Wills: Hi Jenny! I had the same operation 6 weeks after 2 embolic strokes nearly 2 years ago. Very simple operation! Bit sore for a few days afterwards but I was up continuing my rehab 6 hours after the operation! Ongoing checkups with cardiologist but apart from that no issues whatsoever so far! Good luck with your surgery!

Karen Bayly: Hi Jenny. I've had a PFO closed. It was a very straight forward procedure done as day surgery. I had a sore throat afterwards due to the ultrasound down my throat and my blood pressure dropped for about a week due to the fasting before the surgery but I was back on the good foot quite quickly.

 

D

 

 

Hello everyone. I am happy to say that I had a PFO procedure done two weeks ago at the Monash Medical Jessie McP. Procedure was through my groin, large bruising down my leg. After 5 nights I was allowed home hereto Tasmania. Slowly recovering,my legs are gaining strength with the improved blood flow. The biggest gain for me is peace of mind with further strokes I k ow I will always be at risk however with the hole in heart fixed very successfully I should experience some peace, I am proud of myself that at 81 I have survived this bit setback. NO MORE STROKES hopefully. JENNY

Hi Jenny,

 

Thank you for keeping us updated. We were so happy to hear the procedure went well. How are you going now a few months have passed? 

Simone (StrokeLine)

1
Loading reply form...